Monday 16 April 2012

Final blog - Review of Module

In my opinion, I believe the People and Organisation module has been one of the most interesting and insightful modules I have taken this semester. Considering the aims and objectives which the module set out to achieve, I believe these were all met as for example, almost every topic treated was done with an explanation of theories behind that particular topic which I think made it a bit accommodating for me as a student to understand all topics treated effectively.

PERSONAL SKILLS DEVELOPED
A major plus for this module is the constant effort it made in ensuring that students were always interacting with each other by working in groups to produce reports, carry out short in-class exercises such as brainstorming and most importantly promoting teamwork.
Personally, I believe one interpersonal skill I have developed is the ability to resolve conflicts when working with others in a team. One of the major challenges to overcome in working as a group or in a team is to be tolerant of each group members’ view and find ways of merging the differences in order to meet the common goal set by the group. I have developed the skill of being tolerant of the diverging views of my colleagues at work whenever they seem not to agree with me. This skill has really helped me fit into my new job at Tesco where I work with people who have strong divergent views and always want to be heard.

MOST CHALLENGING BLOG
The Performance Management blog in my opinion, proved to be the most challenging in terms of me accessing The Times article on mentoring in order to provide the skills required to be an effective mentor. Initial attempts to access the article proved futile making it difficult for me to complete the blog on time. However, I finally managed to get access to the article through the help of a colleague and eventually I completed the blog.
To me, I saw the blogs as very useful as I took them as a means for me to build upon topics discussed in class.

CHANGES TO THE MODULE
On a whole, I think the module is well structured and all topics covered are very practical in today’s working environment. One thing I would have added if I were the module leader would be the provision of the full reference list for sources cited in power point presentations especially for definitions which are usually direct from different sources. An example is the definition of “Performance Management” by Armstrong and Baron (2004) which was provided in the power point slides without the full reference list at the end of the session. This in my opinion would make it easy for students to access such documents after the lesson for their personal use or for future reference use by students in writing their reports or personal reading.



1 comment:

  1. Well done for completing all your blogs and for working so hard on them all year. Now you really must stop working on them and go and have some fun!

    It has been great having you in the group this year - thanks for your contributions and hard work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete